4th of July Costume Inspiration
Author: belinda Date Posted:16 May 2017
There's more to a Star-Spangled Costume Party
than Captain America & Uncle Sam!
We've curated a list for you here, broken down into 5 sections:
- Political & Military Figures
- Wild, Wild West
- Pop Culture - Music, TV & Movies
- Sports People
This blog is LOADED with ideas, so feel free to scan through the lot, or jump straight to the section that interests you most. Click through on any underlined text to get a visual of the costume (& if it's a purchase item, buy online - nb also available instore). Have an idea we haven't included here? Chances are we can put it together from our vast wardrobe, or source in a purchase item for us - but don't leave it too late! We can generally get next day deliveries, but the longer the lead time, the better. 1. Political & Military Figures
- Abraham Lincoln (who would likely be turning in his grave right now) – the 16th US President was very visually distinctive. Plus he abolished slavery. You’ve got to love him for that alone! Available in our Hire section. We combine top hat, swallow tail mourning coat, vest, bow tie, walking stick & beard to have you looking the part.
- Barack Obama – take our Obama latex mask & add our Hawaiian print shirt. Why? Because he was born in Hawaii (yes Donald – it’s the 50th state…)
- Colonel Custer / Civil War Soldier – bring in the cavalry! Vanquish those Southern Confederates in one of our American Civil War hire costumes. Add a wrap around horse head for some extra fun.
- Donald & Melania Trump – purchase our Trump latex mask or Trump wig, dollar sign necklace & fake money. Wear an ill-fitting suit. For Melania, we have the perfect supermodel wig. Team with a fitting dress & an inexcusably blank expression. A quirky take on the Don if you're a larger lad, would be to pair a Trump mask or wig with our hire-only Russian army fatigues.
- George Washington – another instantly recognisable US president, perfect for the cooler July weather. We can take a little licence here & use our Captain Cook military costume.
- Jackie Kennedy & JFK – channel American political royalty in this couples option. Pair our hire only Jackie Kennedy costume with a man in conservative suit, plus bullet wounds. Politically correct? No. Historically accurate? Yes.
- James Comey / FBI – quite the topic of the moment. Buy the cap & accessories or take advantage of our brilliant value FBI hire option
A note on full face-covering latex masks: Worried you won't be able to eat or drink all night? Make your entrance, then stuff the mask with paper or bubble wrap & wear it as a "bobble-head" for the rest of the night. Stay in character AND enjoy the gourmet spread on offer. Brilliant.
2. Wild, Wild West
Pay homage to the original inhabitants or step back to where it all began for white Americans, with prairies full of Cowboys plus salubrious establishments housing Saloon Girls
- American Indian Chief, Brave or Squaw – hire Chiefs, Braves or Squaws, or buy fabulous feathered headpieces
- Cowboy – play it tough-guy John Wayne style, or tongue-in-cheek, Brokeback Mountain style in some of our bawdier, more colourful hire chaps & shirts, or purchase Cowboy Hats, holsters, bandanas, diecast metallic cap guns, sherrif badges & spurs. This Clint Eastwood, Fist Full of Dollars-inspired cowboy costume is available for purchase. Plus how can we forget Woody from Toy Story!
- Cowgirl / Annie Oakley – Annie get your gun - America’s first female sharp shooter! Can you split a playing card in two at 30 paces, or shoot a cigarette from your husband’s lips (smoking will kill him anyway)? Or maybe boot scooting or rounding up cattle is more your style? Again - don't forget Jessie from Toy Story!
You could argue that the majority of superheroes to emerge from a Hollywood studio are American, however these are the most iconic & hand-on-heart representative of the U.S. of A:
- Captain America – buy Captain America or hire our Deluxe Movie Replica version for men; buy an American Dream costume for women
- Superman or Superwoman / Supergirl - if it's truth, justice & the American way you're fighting for, you can purchase or hire Superman, plus purchase or hire Supergirl
5. Pop Culture Icons
Wow - here's where your choices really open up! Music
- Guns n Roses - Axl Rose is a clear favourite with his iconic U.S. flag bandana
- Brittney Spears - as a Ringmaster from her Circus video; Air Hostess from Poison; schoolgirl from Whoops I Did it Again
- Cyndi Lauper - our hire costumes are perfect if you just wanna have fun!
- Elvis & Priscilla Presley - we have so many hand-made Elvis hire suits they've got their own size chart! Our fave for Priscilla is one of our pink 60s mini dresses
- Janis Joplin - we can put together an iconic hippie look from our hire range to create this legend
- Jimmi Hendrix - purchase this costume or allow us to bring the legend to life with a few rockstar tweaks to our Adam Ant costume (yep - guess where he got the idea for the military jacket?)
- Katy Perry - this Candyland inspired look is available to hire
- Madonna - so many looks! Some of her best known: 80s Desperately Seeking Susan looks; Material Girl; Blonde Ambition
- Michael Jackson - hire a Thriller or later Military look, or purchase accessories to become the King of Pop
- Sonny & Cher - dive into our hire or purchase sections, with loads of mix & match options for 60s/70s Sonny & Cher
- Tina & Ike Turner - it's leopard print all the way for Tina, plus tight flares & a fro for Ike - loads of mix & match options in hire, or purchase this likely number
TV & Movies
- Angelina Jolie – as Lara Croft
- Arnold Swarzenegger - Terminator
- Brady Bunch – Carol, Marsha, Greg, Bobby, Peter, Cindy - one day, this lady met this fella & they both had truly tragic dress sense. Fortunately, so do we! Options available to both hire or buy.
- Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers - Islands in the stream... how could they be wrong? That's right - they CAN'T - they're AWESOME! Jump upstairs to our hire floor for both of these & we'll have you country crooning in no time
- Grease - plenty of Pink Ladies options in hire, plus jackets in sales; hook up with Danny Zuko (he's in misery without you)
- Happy Days - the Fonz, Joanie, Potsie & Richie - head upstairs to hire & we'll kit you out
- Harrison Ford – Indiana Jones
- Hugh Hefner & a Playboy Bunny - options in both hire & sales
- John Travolta as Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever
- Jonny Depp – Pirate of the Carribean
- Judy Garland – Dorothy (Wizard of Oz)
- Kim Kardashian - hello bad taste. We've got the fake butt, fake boobs, fake hair. You supply the body oil & the champagne flute!
- Marilyn Monroe - go as the classic version from Some Like it Hot, or vamp it up in pink as worn in Diamonds are a Girls Best Friend.
- Michael J. Fox – Teen Wolf
- Vivien Leigh as Scarlette O’Hara & Clarke Gable as Rhett Butler
6. Sports People
- Babe Ruth- Baseball player– be the legend!
- Joe Dimaggio - Baseball player - a great couples costume when paired with Marilyn!
- Cheerleaders – get your Glee on
- Grid Iron Players – an option for girls & guys! Great with a cheerleader by your side
- John McEnroe – wear your best tennis gear then grab a wig & tennis sweat bands from us
- Venus or Serena Williams – your best tennis gear plus a beaded plait wig from us.
- American Tourist – floral Hawaiian shirt
- Bill Gates & Steve Jobs – for Gates, you need to nerd up – think 80s Bill – giant inflatable mobile phone, space invaders braces, nerd glasses. For Steve, it’s all black – your own turtle-neck or skivvy & black pants. Pick up some clear round glasses from us & a wig (if you need it!). Don’t forget to bring an apple…
- Prom Queen / Beauty Pageant Contestant – our 80s prom dresses are just perfect for this look! And c’mon guys – you can get in on this one too!