We’ve got answers!
Email us or call us on 02 9906 6135 if there’s anything you want to know that we haven’t covered below.
BIG NEWS: We’ve moved! Since May 2016 we’ve been in our palatial new pink & purple palace at 388 Pacific Highway, Crows Nest, Sydney. That’s 1 block north & on the opposite side of the road from our former digs.
We’re now on the right hand side as you head towards North Sydney, just before Hume Street & before the main Falcoln Street Crows Nest intersection (a couple of doors up from Coco Republic).
Click here to see a google map.
It’s now even easier to park at our new location:
– Pacific Highway metered parking (nb: directly in front of us is a clearly from 3pm)
– Nicholson St Carpark (2 hours free)
– Clark/Hume St Carpark (2 hours free)
We’re open for purchases online 24/7, & our physical store is open for hire & sales as follows:
- Mon – Wed: 11am – 7pm (nb: NO NEW HIRES on Mondays)
- Thurs: 11am – 8pm
- Fri: 11am – 6pm
- Sat: 10am – 5pm
- CLOSED: Sundays & public holidays
If hiring for a future booking (ie. not the current weekend), BEST DAYS TO VISIT are Tuesdays (in the afternoons) & Wednesdays (anytime). The majority of our hire stock will be instore on these days for you to try on.
PLEASE AVOID MONDAYS – unless you are returning a costume from a weekend rental, have an urgent, last minute hire requirement for Monday or Tuesday, or are purchasing items only. Many hire costumes are still out of the store & our staff are busy processing returns, with minimal time available to consult with you on new hires. During Busy Season (Oct – Dec annually), you may actually see us froth at the mouth & enforce this request if you turn up instore prematurely…
Our hire range includes colonial items for children only.
Of course, if you’re looking to purchase for kids, we can help you there anytime, either with our growing instore/online sales range, or by sourcing for you direct.
Our new location is 2.5 times larger than previous, with an entire floor of quality retail costumes & accessories. Whilst our key specialty is quality costume hire, we are expanding our sale offering all the time, with items for sale both instore & online.
If you come instore, you can even try before you buy! Alternatively, we can deliver overnight Australia wide (if you’re in the Express Post network), or same day by courier to the greater Sydney metro area.
Check out our growing retail range here.
Don’t see what you want on our site? Email or call us on 02 9906 6135. We have drop-ship arrangements with a number of large suppliers & can generally source what you need within a couple of days.
If we think you would be better served by another company, we’re well connected & won’t hesitate to steer you in the right direction.
We are committed to excellent customer service & strive to have all items available at all times – if it’s on our website, we’ve got it instore (unless otherwise stated). If there is likely to be a delay in your order we will contact you by next business day to advise.
NEXT BUSINESS DAY:
- We use Express Post next day delivery (for orders received by 3pm) as standard for postcodes within the Express Post network – check here to avoid disappointment.
- Standard Express Post items are fully tracked & traced & do not require a signature on delivery.
- The likelihood that your parcel may not fit in a standard post box is high. Australia Post will attempt to deliver in person & will leave a calling card directing you to your nearest post office if no-one is present. To expedite delivery, we suggest you use your office address where possible.
- If you’re in Sydney, call us by 3pm & we can speed your order to you same day using Flash Couriers – Flash Gordon will personally deliver to you in his spaceship! OK, maybe not, but they’re mighty fast.
- VIP is 1 – 2 hours
- Standard is 2 – 4 hours
- Cost is based on postcode eg. it’s only $10.40 to the CBD.
Call us on (02) 9906 6135 for quote & to book.
- Once a costume has left our premises, it is then unable to be hired to another customer & must also be washed or dry cleaned on return. No refunds are available in this instance.
- If your booking is cancelled prior to collection, we retain a $44 cancellation fee, as the item has been out of circulation for other customers.
- We stock quality products (it’s got to be fancy to make it into the Fancy That! range!). You are covered by standard Consumer Protection law with regards to faulty goods however please note we do not offer returns for change of mind, or if you just so happened not to use that item at your event.
- If a product you have purchased is faulty:
- For your protection, we recommend returns be forwarded via a traceable postage method such as Registered Post, as we cannot exchange or credit items that never arrive back to us. Australia Post charges less than $3 for a Registered Post receipt.
- Returned goods must include all original package & must not have been worn or used in any way. Include a copy of your receipt & forward returns to:
Fancy That! Costumes
388 Pacific Highway
Crows Nest NSW 2065
ATTN: Returns Department
- Returns are generally processed within 1 week of receiving the goods. Please allow additional time during the busy periods of Halloween & Christmas.
Yes, but only with payment, as follows:
- Sales items can be ordered & paid for by phone, then collected instore.
- Hire items can be booked over the phone & held for you with a $44, non-refundable holding deposit.
The average costume hire for adults is $79 & kids $39, & ranges from our minimum hire of $22 / $11 (adults / kids), up to $150 for our Deluxe Collectors Edition Batman, a licensed costume which retails on some site for up to $800.
Once you’ve decided on a basic theme, we’ll generously style you up with all the accessories you need to look fabulous. Character costume wigs (where the wig is essential to the character) are generally included in the hire price – if an item is included, you’ll see it itemised on the listing.
Where you choose to hire a wig that is not included in the standard costume price, it’s an additional $10. The same applies to shoes.
We offer a 15% discount on group hires of 5 or more costumes where all 5 costumes are booked at the same time, for the same event. Check out our Inspiration page for group ideas.
Contact us re discounts on bulk sales items.
When hiring wigs on their own without a costume, cost is $25. The exception to this is our Judges’ wigs, which are $45 to hire on their own (man – it takes a long time to style those curls right!). The price difference for hiring wigs on their own versus with a costume (where it’s only $10) is due to the fact that it does take time to wash & style the wigs & there is no hire revenue to offset this cost.
Whilst our hire wigs are generally superior quality to our sale wigs, it can be more economical to purchase if we have a similar style in our sales range. You can view our available sales wigs online here. Sales wigs are available to try before you buy instore, & to purchase both instore & online.
Our standard hire period for weekend events is Thurs to Mon, with return due on Monday whether you collect on Thurs, Fri or Sat.
Mid week, it’s 3 days eg Mon – Wed, Tue – Thur or Wed – Fri.
Additional days are available at $22 / $11 (adults / kids) per day. Should you wish to retain the costume for more than 3 additional days, it becomes a double hire. See Conditions of Hire for details.
We do aim to be flexible re this in the traditionally quieter months of Jan & Feb each year, where many companies hold offsite conferences & returning within a shorter timeframe can be difficult.
First in, best dressed! Earlier is always better.
Costumes are available to collect for weekend events from Thursday of that week. If you’re planning further ahead, the best times to come in are Tuesday evenings or Wednesday any time, as the majority of our costumes are returned, prepped & ready to try on by that stage.
Don’t forget, our “Hassle Free Hire” same-day courier service in Sydney means you only need come in once to make your selection, then let our courier service handle the delivery & collection for you. And if you can’t make it in at all, we can also handle the lot for you remotely.
We have a busy bricks & mortar store with people in & out trying costumes on all the time. We’re working to leverage technology as much as we can, however imagine if you were in the change-room & someone had booked your chosen costume online before you’d had the chance to put your pants back on?! Not a good look…
In addition, a lot of what we offer at Fancy That! is one-on-one styling with mix & match, one-off accessories. It’s pretty tricky to automate.
If you see something you like online, you can reserve it with us over the phone by providing a $44 non-refundable holding deposit. We will just need to site your licence or photo I.D. when you come instore to collect – or have you forward a scanned copy of same to us via email, if you require costume delivery.
The bond provides security for us that the costume is going to be returned in the same condition as it was hired. Any item loss or damage repair bill is deducted from the bond. Please note, in cases of full loss or extreme damage, we reserve the right to recoup replacement or repair costs in addition to the bond figure. We accept credit card or cash bonds as follows:
- Credit card: no money is withdrawn – your card details are simply held on file then destroyed upon safe return of the costume
- Cash: cash bond taken on collection then returned on costume return
We prefer Credit Card bonds for their security & simplicity. If all is in order, we simply destroy your details by tearing up the bond slip upon costume return.
YES! If you live in the greater Sydney metro area (no hire outside of Sydney).
We keep Flash Couriers busy running all over town with obscure purple “body bags” on a daily basis (!)
We do recommend you come in to try the costume on first – in our experience, body shape is more relevant than label size, which can be misleading. Once a hire costume leaves our premises we are unable to refund your hire fee.
Please don’t! This is all part of the service. We have special cleaning techniques to ensure the longevity of our items plus, if you attempt to wash out a stain yourself, you can actually sometimes wash it “in”, which makes it harder for us to remove.
Our hire costumes are thoroughly washed in individual laundry bags with industrial strength cleansing solution or dry cleaned, after EVERY use. Our wigs are soaked in a mixture of fabric softener & disinfectant after EVERY use, then styled ready for re-hire. Accessories & hats are wiped down with dilute disinfectant then left to air dry.
We do stay open until 7pm Mon – Wed, 8pm Thurs & 6pm Fri to make it easier for you to return your costume. We also have a “Hassle Free Hire” courier service to make returns super easy for you. Click here for details
Late fees are charged at $22 / $11 (adults / kids) per day.
This is not a revenue raising exercise. As you can imagine, a costume hire business runs to a strict weekly rhythm of washing & dry cleaning to ensure all items are available for selection during the week, & for event pick-up. The late fee is an incentive to encourage prompt return. It recognises the fact that:
- we employ additional staff on Tuesdays to power through costume prep ready for the next weekend onslaught;
- new customers need to be able to try on freshly laundered costumes for selection during the week; &
- new customers deserve our full attention instore, which we can’t provide to them if we’re busy processing & washing late returns.
We do everything we can to make returns hassle free, including late opening hours & a courier service. We appreciate our customers honoring their hire contract agreement & doing the right thing also.
A lot of our hire stock has been custom made over the years by the previous business owner, or purchased from other costumiers who have lovingly made the garments themelves.
We currently have tailoring resources instore on Thursdays & Saturdays only, with a focus on costume maintenance, repairs & customer alterations. We don’t have scope for instore custom design at present HOWEVER we do have talented contacts overseas with fast turnarounds & are happy to quote on your brief.
Email us in the first instance & let’s see how we can help.
After several years dealing with freelance artists who aren’t always available when you need them, we now use & recommend the fabulous Dial-a-Style.
Dial-a-Style is a mobile hair & beauty service that will come to you wherever you are & anytime you want! Whether it’s basic glamour make-up to accompany your Hollywood Diva costume, some simple cuts & bruises, or a fully-fledged character creation – Dial-a-Style will find you the right artist for the job.
It’s a handy app based service – think of them as your “Uber” of custom costume make-up & special FX! It’s super easy too. Check out their website here – you simply download the app, book your service & experience the revolution.
If you’ve hired a costume from us as well, don’t forget to enter your pics in our monthly Facebook photo comp – you’ll be looking super fab & have a great shot at topping the vote leader board for a full costume hire refund!
We dress people, not venues. We recommend Sydney Prop Specialists in Marrickville for their phenomenal range, quality & service. Their website is super easy to navigate, with a range curated over more than 30 years servicing special event, theatrical, film TV & exhibition industries in Sydney & Australia-wide. With thousand of unique items & the capacity to source or custom make for you, you could easily be overwhelmed, were it not for their intuitively laid out website plus stylists onhand to interpret your brief.
Whether yours is a small, private event or a large corporate soiree – take it to the next level with quality costumes from Fancy That! Costumes & prop hire or fully-fledged event theming from Sydney Prop Specialists.
We are always open to talking with bright, enthusiastic, people with great customer service skills, a keen interest in popular culture & a passion for fashion, who aren’t afraid to roll up their sleeves. It’s also a huge bonus if you have sewing skills.
If this describes you, feel free to give us a call anytime for a preliminary chat.